Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Okra Curry







Oh dear! I have been bustling & hustling to work out my anxieties. & I completely forgot how cooking a Simply in Season meal, listening to some music, and even sharing them here is some of the best anxiety-relief of all.

I have to say... I have always enjoyed okra, but I have also always had trouble cooking it. But when I found a big bag of it for a few dollars at the Farmer's Market, I was bound & determined to figure out a thing or two.

All I really did in the end was to follow the recipe, and the okra turned out great. Not mushy, but soft-crisp. Only the largest pod of all was a bit fibrous. & the sticky little seeds were like a more flavorful couscous.

I cooked the wild rice in broth & it was an excellent complement to the okra.

1. Saute one half cup of onion in two tbsp of olive oil until golden brown.

2. Add one garlic clove (minced), ground ginger, turmeric, & chili powder. Saute for a few minutes.

3. Add one pound of okra (cleaned and trimmed) & salt. Cook a few minutes.

4. Add one cup slice tomatoes & fry for a few minutes until liquids evaporate. (This took a bit longer than a few minutes for me.)

Favorite Song for today (led to in a more or less direct way by my favorite radio station):



1 comment: