Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Barley Tabbouleh









This recipe I actually found through the Weight Watcher's community. I had no idea what a tabbouleh was.

Apparently it is basically a salad. Originally a Levantine dish, usually based in bulgur (not barley). Meaning roughly "little spicy". & this certainly was a flavorful & filling dish for us.

I started by soaking 1/3 cup barley all day. Then I brought 2/3 cup of veggie broth to a boil. Following that, I lowered the heat & simmered the barley for ten minutes.

Then I mixed: the barley, two cup chickpeas, half of a medium diced yellow bell pepper, 6 small tomatoes quartered, 1/3 cup chopped red onion, a few tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, & a quarter cup finely chopped basil.

I also discovered a new band that I rather like, in the process. They are called Bruekke.

Bruekke is a German name. Etymologically it would have meant someone who lives near a bridge. But the word brugga, or bridge, was in turn derived from Low German for swamp. Or at least this is what about five minutes of research tells me.

This last song I heard especially dazzled me. It resonated well with my relationship with my husband & how we started out five years ago.

Favorite Song for today (led to in a more or less direct way by my favorite radio station):

1 comment: