Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chinese Spinach Soup


Each week whilst wandering about the farmer's market, my eyes kept being drawn to a lovely bunch of leaves marked "Chinese Spinach". The rich red-purple colour was irresistible, & eventually I gave in & purchased the inexpensive beauties, even with no knowledge of what they might taste like.

I wish I had provided you with a lovely picture of those leaves (maybe in the weeks to come) but by the time I finally got around to researching what to do with them, they had fallen somewhat from their former glory & were quite wilted.

Basically this soup is sauteed onion, wilted Chinese Spinach leaves, a few cloves of garlic, & 1/2 cup of Crème fraiche. And to my surprise it came out rather pink, but still rather pretty.

We decided when we try this again we will shred the spinach before adding it, instead of adding it whole. The spinach itself is rather spinachy but with a bit of a sourness. I read that it can be compared to sorrel, but am unfamiliar with that flavor.

Favorite Song for today (led to in a more or less direct way by my favorite radio station):

1 comment:

  1. As a child, I nibbled the sorrel that grew wild around the farm. Sorrel grows in my suburban, KS yard, too. Loved its tangy taste!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_wood_sorrel

    ReplyDelete