Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dandelion Bacon Salad



Dandelion Greens are quite likely my least favorite vegetables. I am not one for bitter tastes, as a general rule. And anyhow there are so many other more delightful greens.

However, out of curiosity I decided to try this recipe from Simply in Season. I figured, if a recipe from this book doesn't make them palatable then I'll just be done with them forever.

The result was actually quite tasty. I think it was the lemon juice which offset the bitterness. It is still not one of my favorite vegetables, but I do think I will find myself craving this salad from time to time...

Blend one quarter cup lemon juice, one quarter cup sugar, a pinch of salt.

Stir in one half cup evaporated milk.

Fry four slices of bacon, crumble, set aside.

Remove all but one tablespoon of bacon fat. Add one tbsp flour to the pan. Stir until smooth.

Slowly add the lemon mixture. Heat & stir until thickened.

Turn off heat but leave pan on burner.

Add eight cups of dandelion greens & stir gently to coat.

Garnish with bacon & hard cooked egg.

Favorite Song (on my favorite radio station during prep time):

1 comment:

  1. Yum, we ate alot of cardoons growing up. This sounds great. And your photos are fantastic!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete