Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wild Mushroom Sauce




Shiitake mushrooms, until recently, seemed a bit too expensive to me. I hadn't realized yet that while the mushrooms sold for something like twelve dollars a pound, they are really lightweight. Makes sense. The upshot is you can get a big bagful of these for much less than twelve dollars.

There are few things I like more than a good mushroom. Shiitake mushrooms are very good mushrooms.

So I tried a sauce of them from Simply in Season:

1. Saute in one tbsp oil, one quarter cup chopped onion. Add one heaping cup of chopped mushrooms.
2. Add one half cup water, cover and simmer for fifteen minutes.
3. Add soy sauce, pepper, & fresh thyme.
4. Dissolve four tbsp cornstarch in one quarter cup water, add. Stir in until sauce is thickened.

I was pleased at how much the Shiitake flavor was featured. The texture was also nice.

Favorite Song (on my favorite radio station during prep time): Unkle Bob- Brighter


2 comments:

  1. I love shiitake mushrooms. I wonder if I can mix this with pasta...hmmmm!!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://ilovetocook-ellie.blogspot.com/2011/03/stylish-blog-award.html :) Passing on the Stylish Blog Award to You!!!

    ReplyDelete