Monday, January 24, 2011

Apple Rice Stuffing


This Sunday I made an Apple Rice Stuffing. In the spirit of Simply in Season, it was easy to make. Be warned it did take a few hours of cook time. But as the snow was piled high outside & we were in merry company, the aroma of baking apples only added to the atmosphere. The finished product was well worth the wait.

To begin this recipe, simply cook up some brown rice in apple juice. Simmering for forty minutes.

Then saute some onion and celery. Add this to the rice along with two diced large apples. Add brown sugar and walnuts to taste. (The recipe calls for certain amounts, but I really think these two ingredients, within reason, should be left up to the cook. Only you know how sweet the apples are, how sweet you like your dish, and how much (if at all) you enjoy walnuts.) Also add savory & oregano.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for fifty minutes.

The recipe noted that the Apple Rice Stuffing pairs well with pork chops. In this case, I was planning a lunch so I opted for the thin sliced "breakfast" pork chops. Which, happily, also happened to be on a sale. I dry rubbed them with Italian seasonings, garlic powder, and red pepper. Seared them until they were brown. And then I simmered them in apple juice, covered, for around ten minutes.

They went quite well with the stuffing. This was the first time I tried thin-cut chops, and I think I will go back to regular chops in the future. But they are convenient because they cook up faster and make for a lighter meal.

The stuffing was lick-your-spoon, must-have-another-bite, fare. I think I would put a little less sugar in the next time, but that comes down to preference. This is a sweet & savory treat, good for any occasion or just to warm up your day.

Some of you perceptive readers who have been following along may have noticed that this post is a bit different. This is because I was a guest in my brother's kitchen when I made this dish. It takes a generous person to allow another into their kitchen! Which is not to say it is easy for the guest cook either.

His roommate was also kind enough to offer his camera for the project, when I realized I had forgotten my memory card.

Though I usually like to cook in the warm shell of my own kitchen, with folk tunes floating in from the adjacent room, I do feel that cooking is a great social activity as well. The group nature of a food-project makes the meal satisfying on a whole new level. Group pride, for a job done well, can be one of the most natural & pleasant feelings. This I believe.

So the song I will share today, was one that my husband had stuck in his head as we were playing one of our favorite games, while the stuffing was cooling and the pork chops were sizzling on the pan.

2 comments:

  1. The apple rice stuffing sounds very good; less inspired by the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your continued support.

    I make no apologies for my wild-card video, but I am sorry you didn't get much from it.

    We will be back to our regular programming tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete