Monday, January 17, 2011

Fruit for Dinner






In a recipe like this Peanut Apple Salad, much is dependent upon the apples. I think it would be a mistake to use too sweet an apple.

This particular recipe did not specify what sort of apple ought to be used. So we purchased the cheapest apples short of red delicious (an apple I am not fond of and thought would be overly sweet & soft).

The apple we ended up with is titled "Jazz" and it is crisp & sweet with that zing of tang that I think really makes a salad-apple.

(One thought I did have later. Redder apples would be better for this salad, because the apples provide much of the color in this meal.)

Another item the recipe left wide-open was what type of nut to use. Sure the title says "peanut" but this is already allowed for with a portion of peanut butter. We happen to be rather fond of walnuts, so we opted for those.

I admit, I didn't put the full portion of sugar in our salad. Somehow it seemed wrong with the sweetness of the apples already coming through. I would say sugar to taste & dependent upon the apples.

I also added a bit more coconut, since the coconut project had produced plenty of shredded goodness. I'm sure this made the coconut more of a feature, but that's all for the better if you are as big of a coconut fan as we tend to be.

The results were reminiscent of Waldorf salad, but stood well apart. Specifically this salad was more subtly creamy, and had less dressing in general. The mayonnaise flavor was kept well in the background by the peanut butter & fresh ingredients.

It was definitely lick your spoon worthy. I made half a batch & we ate it all. The recipe said it served eight and I'd say this is about accurate.

I served this salad with pita chips. I snipped up small pitas, with a pair of kitchen scissors, and brushed them with olive oil. Then I sprinkled them with a mix of cinnamon & cardamom. Just enough to add those flavors, but not enough to draw attention on the first bite. Then I toasted them for ten minutes in the oven. The pita chips were slightly crisp bits of warm grain to complement the crisp & creamy sweetness of the salad.

All in all, it was an addictive treat bringing a refreshing sort of sweetness to a calm evening.

Favorite Song (on my favorite radio station during prep time): Karine Polwart- I'm Gonna Do It All

3 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! Sounds marvelous! Like your words! Enjoy the music,too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut and Pineapple preparation all in one day!
    Oh to have such lovingly prepared enjoyments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my apple salad with a Honey Crisp and some pecans. It tasted fabulous alongside the Sweet Potato Burritos. They definitely enhanced each other!

    ReplyDelete