Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Golden Carrot Bake











This is another incredible comfort-dish. While the Bounty Rice featured Italian flavours reminiscent of lasagna, this Golden Carrot Bake follows in the tradition of quiche. On the one hand it is not so rich as quiche, but on the other it feels lighter & more guilt-free with no loss of yum-factor.

This recipe, once again from Simply in Season, was split into three easy steps.

1. Boil 3 cups of shredded carrots, 1.5 cups of water, a half cup of brown rice, salt & pepper. Then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Do not strain.
(I used long grain white rice. So I only simmered for fifteen minutes.)

2. Add to the pot 1.5 cups of shredded Monterey Jack, one cup of milk, two eggs (beaten), a quarter cup of chopped onion, & nutmeg.
(I used green onion for added colour.)

3. Pour into 2 quart casserole dish & bake at 350 for an hour. Then sprinkle a half cup of shredded Monterey Jack on the top & bake for another two minutes.

I served ours with some tea. We sat at the table for a few hours nibbling "just one more small slice" & sipping tea. One thing that always amazes me about good food is the good conversation it invites. Especially when shared in good company.


Favorite Song (on my favorite radio station during prep time): Damien Dempsey- Madam I'm A Darlin'


No comments:

Post a Comment