Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hutspot & Dilly Mashed Potatoes
















I tried two recipes last night, from Simply in Season. Or maybe one & a half...

The Simply in Season Hutspot is basically a roast. You put the roast in water & salt, then simmer for two hours. Then add potatoes, carrots, & onions. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Then slice the roast & mash the rest.

I kept some of the broth for later use, & combined the other part of it with flour to make a nice gravy.

The recipe I used suggested you can cook the potatoes/carrots separately, which is what gave me the idea of trying the Dilly Mashed Potatoes instead of adding the potatoes/carrots to the roast. Since the feature of Hutspot is the mashing together of carrots and potatoes, & the Dilly Potatoes recipe also calls for that.

To make Dilly Mashed potatoes you boil the carrots and potatoes together until soft. While they are boiling you saute green onions & fresh dill in butter.

Then you mash the potatoes & carrots all together. Add the dill/onions. Then add one cup plain yogurt. Bake at 350 for thirty minutes. The recipe suggests as an option that you bake with some cheese on the top. I opted not to.

I also made my Mother a vegan version of the potatoes. I used olive oil instead of butter and left out the yogurt for her portion.

That's right! My parents joined us for dinner last night.

I must say, I enjoyed the combination of carrots and potatoes. And the yogurt really added richness to them. The roast was wonderful as well, tender & moist.

And after a satisfying well-portioned meal for four, we sat in the living room & chatted.

We chatted about the state of the union, debt, & even this blog. When they left the hour was late & the apartment felt sleepy without them.

Favorite Song (on my favorite radio station during prep time): Steve Tilston- King of the Coiners

No comments:

Post a Comment