Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ethiopian Lentil Stew

If you love garlic anywhere near as much as we do, you need to try this.

The paragraph above the recipe says it was submitted by the owners of a restaurant in Coralville, IA (not far from where my husband & I attended college). The owners came over here from Sudan, and recommended this as a good meal if you have a cold.

Both my husband & I (but especially my husband) have been fighting off head colds for the past several days. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

1. Soak the lentils for half an hour, then drain/set aside.

2. Saute two large chopped onions & one whole head of garlic peeled/mashed until golden brown.

3. Add three tablespoons tomato paste & two cups of water. Stir together. Then add another cup of water & incorporate. Add paprika, ground ginger, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Then reduce temperature & cover. Cook for half an hour.

4. Just before serving add one quarter cup of lemon juice. Serve hot.

It rested somewhere between tomato soup & curry, featuring garlic & lentils in a big way. It sure beat chicken noodle soup, in my own opinion.

I didn't listen to my favorite radio station yesterday. Instead I listened to a CD by one of my favorite artists.

This song relaxes me at some deep inner level in that sweet-bitter way that only love can make me feel : Joanna Newsom- Easy

No comments:

Post a Comment