Friday, February 18, 2011

Taco Soup... A Basic Chili


As you may know, my husband & I love a good chili. Chili being defined by us as a tomato soup with beans & beef, which this is.

As an added bonus, I used some dried kidney beans. I bought them several weeks back, but they always get left behind for canned beans. The canned alternative being easier & only marginally pricier. However, with how much we also love beans, for us dried beans are actually the most cost-effective & I would claim tastier choice.

However, I messed up & did not remember to soak them the night before. So instead I quick-soaked them (boiling them for two minutes then soaking them for two hours) & then I cooked them on low heat in the chili for two hours. Usually the cook time would be about ten minutes. So you can see my bean-dilemma now.

This soup would typically take less than half an hour to make, & easily feed six people.

1. Brown one pound of beef with one small chopped onion.
2. Add six cups of tomato juice, two cups corn, two cups kidney beans.
3. Season with chili powder. I would also recommend cumin & /or cinnamon for the adventuresome. And, of course, garlic.
4. Simmer ten minutes.

We served it with the crumbled tortilla chips, shredded cheese, & a dollop of plain yogurt.

All in all a vibrant & vivacious bowl of soup.

Favorite Song (on my favorite radio station during prep time):
(& the video is pretty sweet, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment