Friday, February 4, 2011

Nut & Mushroom Loaf

Okay. This dish took a few hours between prep time & cook time. But it was definitely worth it. Reminiscent of stuffing, or was it turnovers...sure to please any nut or mushroom aficionados.

To begin with I sauteed one chopped medium onion and five stalks chopped celery for five minutes. Then I added one tablespoon of flour and stirred for two minutes. Then I poured in a little over a cup of white wine and stirred for another two minutes. (You could also use broth instead of wine.) Then I set this mixture aside.

Then in a large bowl I combined one and one half cups of ground almonds, two thirds of a cup of rolled oats, one grated apple, two eggs, some orange juice, & salt/pepper. (The recipe called for half of a lemon's juice, but all I had was orange juice.)

Then I combined the two mixes in the bowl.

Next I sauteed one pound of mushrooms finely chopped, one finely chopped onion, garlic, & a little over a cup of walnuts.

The recipe called for a ring mold, but I don't have one. So I used a round baking dish instead. Lined with parchment paper. I poured one half of the first mix into the dish, covered with the mushroom mix, & then topped off with the second half.

Baked at 375 for 55 minutes. Allowed ten minutes to cool before inverting on a serving dish.

(We had this with another dish, but I'll be posting about that dish tomorrow.)

There were plenty of leftovers. This dish is filling, though lighter than I expected.

We lazed the evening away looking forward to the weekend ahead.

Favorite Song (from my favorite radio station): Christy Moore- Tribute to Ewan Mccoll

1 comment:

  1. This looks & sounds so interesting, unlike anything I have ever made! I hope to try one of your tested recipes this weekend!

    ReplyDelete