Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Husband's Type of Chili


One of the great things about chili, in my opinion, is that every person has their own ideal & every batch is different. Even if you use the same exact recipe every time, the vegetables tend to vary season to season. But as for me & our household, we do not bide by recipes when it comes to chili.

My chili tends to have many vegetables, feature tomato, & be rather spicy. My husband's chili is all about the meats, the beans, & tangy-barbecue-brown-sugar decadence. This time I made up a batch of chili in my husband's style, while at my brother's apartment this past weekend.

For an approximation:

1. Brown one pound ground beef & one finely chopped large onion.

2. Add five or so garlic cloves (peeled & smashed), three finely sliced Serrano peppers, two cans of country style baked beans, two cans stewed tomatoes, & 3-4 cups of vegetable juice. I also added about one cup of kidney beans, and one cup of corn.

3. Season with (approximately & to taste) three tablespoons chili powder, one tablespoon cumin, one teaspoon pepper, one tablespoon red pepper, & two tablespoons Dijon mustard.

4. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1-2 hours to allow chili to reduce & flavors to incorporate.

His style of chili is thick & sweet & spoon-lickin' good. Eat up me hearties!

Favorite Song (on my favorite radio station during prep time):

No comments:

Post a Comment