Monday, February 7, 2011

Fish Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Slaw




I think I found a new favorite food or really two new foods.

To make these fish tacos we used a lovely snapper. The recipe also recommends rockfish or tilapia. I haven't tried rockfish, but I don't feel like the tilapia texture would be quite so satisfying nor do I feel its subtle flavor would come through the spices the way the snapper's did.

To begin, make a mix of spices in a small bowl. 4 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp ground cumin, & 1/4 tsp red pepper (optional).

Then cut the snapper into one inch pieces. Dredge them in the spice mix. Then put them in oil that has already been brought up to medium high heat. Cook for about one minute on each side, or until brown & cooked through.

That's all there is to it!

Before I made the fish I also made the creamy cilantro slaw to go with it.

Mix 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, half a lime's juice, half a bunch of cilantro stems & leaves chopped, a few teaspoons dill, one clove of garlic chopped, & 2 cups of finely chopped cabbage.

The creamy cilantro tang is the perfect counterpart to the spicy deep taste of the snapper. Not to mention the crispness pairs well with the flakiness of the fish.

The textures in the complete taco are as enjoyable as the flavors, & both are spot on.

It was a good Sunday for us. Guacamole & bean dip while vaguely watching the super bowl. Individual projects with occasional glances across the room. Some serious conversations & some good laughs. All in all, a day of winning combinations.

Favorite Song (from my favorite radio station): Capercaillie- The Tree

2 comments:

  1. Am I seeing some kind of special blue corn chip on the side of the plate?
    I don't know anything about cooking red snapper: do you leave the skin on???? And eat it????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, on both accounts. And it's quite attest, I can tasty.

    ReplyDelete