Thursday, February 3, 2011

Winter-Night Borscht


I've got to say, this was my favorite borscht yet. It manages to not be too watery, or too beety, or too meaty, or too anything! And I love the hints of bay leaf, dill, & parsley.

Start with a large soup pot & brown one pound of stew-beef (or chicken) with one chopped medium onion for ten minutes. I only used half a pound of beef. Then add 8 cups of water (I substituted one of the eight with one cup of chicken broth), one shredded half-head of cabbage, one cup of chopped beets, one chopped carrot, two chopped potatoes, one half cup pearl barley, two bay leaves & salt/pepper. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 30 minutes.

Then add one half cup each of beet greens, fresh dill, & fresh parsley. (The first two are optional, but I thought they were great.) Simmer for another ten minutes.

I garnished with fresh parsley & plain yogurt.

We ate while watching an episode of Psych, pausing to look at each other to laugh quite often. It is filmed in Vancouver, Canada & we daydream together sometimes of living in Vancouver, Washington some day.

After dinner it was off to my parents' house... chasing away a bit of our feeling of being trapped in by recent weather & bringing us into good company beside a crackling fire.

Favorite Song (from my favorite radio station): Jez Lowe- Jack Common's Anthem

No comments:

Post a Comment